Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Half-Gods, Changelings and Trans-whatevers

Half-Gods, Changelings and Trans-whatevers



Last week conservative voice, Ben Shapiro blatantly refused to refer to a male reporter as a female while seated next that reporter on a discussion panel. The male reporter leaned in and placed his hand on the back of Shapiro's next while threatening him with the words 'Now cut that out, or you'll go home in an ambulance.'

Here's some thoughts about the reporter, who goes by the name 'Zoey Tur', the recent publicity about Mr. Jenner and other people who are like him:

Imagine for a moment that I claimed to feel like I was an angel, a cherub, who fell to Earth and was mistaken for a human baby (never mind what happened to the human baby); Or imagine I felt as if I were a 'changeling' and that I was actually an elf prince who had been switched with a human baby; Or imagine I felt that my 'real father' was the Olympian god Zeus and that I was one of the godlings such as Achilles or Hercules. And further imagine that I demanded that everyone else go along with my feelings and that I would actually threaten anyone who blatantly refused to play along.

No one would hesitate to call me out for such behavior and no one would hesitate to call the authorities if and when I issued my threats. Most people would regard me as delusional, but most people would also allow me to continue in my choice of expressing how I felt--until such expressions became disruptive or threatening to others.

So it is with all people who chose to express how they feel inside, others will tolerate it as long as it is not too disruptive. But no one will (or should) tolerate it when it becomes threatening. And that applies whether the person is claiming to be the son of a god and demands you call him 'Lord' or whether the person is claiming to be female and demanding you call him 'her'.

A person can ask that others respect how the feel inside and that they play along-- if he wants to be responsible and polite. A person can demand others play along--if he wants to be childishly irresponsible and rude. But if a person threatens others to respect how they feel inside and play along--then he has crossed the line.

I hear Mr. Shapiro is pressing assault charges against the man who grabbed him and threatened him in public. Good.




for more essays and for short stories, check out http://www.MHHickey.com
for talk about books, swords, and nerd hobbies, check out http://www.Booksandswords.com

No comments:

Post a Comment